My Goals

My platform is my life. It effects every choice that I make on a daily basis and has completely altered the way I view my health. Had I not even become Miss Teen Arkansas International I would still be working just as passionately as I am now.

Heart disease effects everyone, big or small, young or old, male or female. Whether or not we realize it, every one of us know someone who has been directly effected by it. Heart disease is all around us, we just don’t always see it. Nor do we see how easily it can often be prevented.

So, my mission has always been the same: to educate, raise funds, and raise awareness. These are my three basic steps to helping others lead a heart healthy life.

I have already been working intimately with the American Heart Association and had the opportunity to work with the staff on some of the largest events in Arkansas for this organization. Now, I am working to join with events all across our nation and even over seas!

The American Heart Association has a goal: by 2020, to improve the cardiovascular healthy of all Americans by 20 percent, while reducing deaths from cardiovascular diseases and stroke by 20 percent.

How are we going to do this?

1. Education. About heart disease, how it can be prevented, and how to live a healthy lifestyle. Though schools, communities, businesses and families.

2.Raise Funds. For the American Heart Association so that they may be able to continue their research for the new treatments for heart disease, as well as continue their many programs aimed towards education and awareness.

3. Raise Awareness. Of the American Heart Association and its many programs and partnerships such as: Go Red For Women, Hoops For Heart, Jump Rope For Heart, NFL Play 60 Challenge, My Life Check and, my favorite, the Alliance For A Healthier Generation.

Obesity has been found to be one of the root causes of several diseases, including heart disease. It can cause not only heart disease and stroke, but high blood pressure, diabetes, cancer, and asthma as well as many other diseases.

In 2005 the Alliance for a Healthier Generation was founded by the American Heart Association and the Clinton Foundation as a response to the growing rate of childhood obesity. It’s goal is to reduce the prevalence of childhood obesity and to empower children to develop lifelong, healthy habits. The frightening reality is that this generation could be the first in history to live shorter lives than their parents because 1 in 3 children are overweight or obese. That’s a scary thought.

By working with schools, companies, communities, healthcare professionals and families the Alliance is transforming the conditions and systems that lead to healthier kids. Together we are leading the charge against childhood obesity.

With the title of Miss Teen International, my reach has been broadened and I now have the foothold I need to work on a national and international level with the American Heart Association. There is much to be done and not very much time to do it, so new events and ideas are still piling in! I’ll keep you posted on all of our progress so stay tuned!

Much love,

Haley Pontius

Comments

Popular Posts