Salute to Veterans at the VA Medical Center!

I could not think of a better way to spend my Valentine’s Day…as we handed out Valentine’s cards made by local elementary school children to Veterans at the VA Medical Center! The morning commenced with a brief program, introduction of dignitaries, a chance to view art work displayed by Veterans, and most importantly a chance to visit with the Vets in their hospital beds.

We were grouped into small teams and given hats, pins, and cards to distribute. The chance to share a conversation, hold a hand, or give a hug was simply priceless. My first hand shake was given to a Vet with a hook hand and I had to be gowned to enter his room. I thanked him for his service and read the first card to him as he smiled.

The oldest Vet I spent a few minutes with was 96 years old, and one Vet gave me a poem he had written honoring the American Flag. As the daughter of a WWII and Korean War Veteran, my thank you to these men and women comes from the bottom of my heart.

I hope you will take a few moments to view these photos and remember the men and women who protect us each and every day at great cost to themselves and their families.

Jan has volunteered with the VA for 60 Years!

Volunteers are an important part of the VA Medical Center

Art on display

Michael Gallucci, Deputy Commissioner Veterans Health Care and Acting Director, Judith Johnson-Mekota took a moment to share a photo with me

Sharing a moment with one of our heroes

Xavier and Vinnie

With sincere respect and appreciation,

Sarah Bazey
Mrs. International 2012

Comments

Popular Posts