Back to School Lunch Ideas

As a mom of three children, I know how hard packing lunches can be. When you have very picky eaters that can make it even more difficult. By the end of last year, I felt like I was sending them the same boring lunch every time I packed their cute Pottery Barn lunch boxes and they were only going two days a week! This year, the boys will be attending mother’s morning out 3 days and our little girl will go 2 days. I want to arm myself with more fun, colorful and healthy lunches this year and I’m hoping this will help some of you moms, working girls and even you sweet teens that don’t want to eat cafeteria food.

I’m not sure if I’m late to the game or if it’s because we have younger kids, but I discovered bento boxes last year and I love them. They make it so convenient to pack lots of different options for your babies or yourself to nibble on at lunch time. Okay next, what healthy items are we going to put in our lunch boxes? How about a peanut butter banana whole wheat wrap, with kiwi, blueberries, grapes and carrots on the side. Another yummy, hopefully new favorite, could be an almond butter and honey sandwich with greek yogurt and more berries. My kids love fruit so it has always been a big staple in our meals. What about ants on a log? Just take a stalk of celery, spread with peanut butter and make your ants out of raisins.

Is your lunch zone a nut free zone? When I was growing up I don’t remember ever having any issues with bringing peanut butter to school, but now more and more schools are going nut free. Don’t worry, here are a few ideas to get you started. Try a hummus (my kids LOVE it) and spinach sandwich. Throw in some cherry tomatoes and sweet potato fries for sides. (If your child is missing the peanut butter on his or her sandwich try substituting it for sunflower seed butter). Also, try sliced avocado, cherry tomatoes, pumpkin seeds, cubed cheese, grapes and blueberries. This option is especially great for picky eaters since it has lots of options for them. Don’t forget to pack their water for lunch and not sugary drinks.

It is so important to teach our kids from a young age to eat healthy and to practice portion control. I hope this helps to get the ball rolling when you are at the grocery store next. If you are a creative mom, don’t forget you can make your child’s lunch look like a masterpiece as well. I would love to see it, so take a picture and post it on my facebook page!




Until the Mission is Complete,

Farabe’

Comments

Popular Posts