Arkansas Fun Facts

I certainly have to express my pride for living in the Natural State by informing everyone about a few Arkansas Fun Facts:
  • Diamonds were first discovered in Arkansas, and Arkansas remains the only state in which tourists can dig for their own diamonds to keep. 
  • Arkansas is home to several “World Capitals” for example Hope, Arkansas is the Watermelon Capital of the World, Stuttgart, Arkansas is the Duck Calling Capital of the World and hosts the World's Championship Duck Calling Contest of which I have attended a preliminary round. 
  • Native Arkansan Freeman Owens is the first person to ever add sound to film. 
  • It is actually illegal for the Arkansas River to rise above the Main Street Bridge in Little Rock.
  • Arkansas is home to Walmart!
  • The mispronunciation of the state name is strictly prohibited by law. It is “Ar-kan-saw.” 
  • The one and only Johnny Cash was born and raised in Arkansas. 
  • The Little Rock Nine that took place in the historic Little Rock Central High School influenced many people around the nation.
  • The famous author John Grisham was born in Arkansas and lived throughout Northeast Arkansas. I am proudly a resident of this part of the state. 
  • Arkansas is also home to Dillard's, one of the top department stores in the country.
  • Now we can also say that Arkansas is home to the Miss Teen International three-peat!
Arkansas also has many places to visit such as several nature parks, camps, and adventure/water parks. For years my family's favorite place to vacation has been Greers Ferry Lake in Heber Springs, Arkansas. We own a pontoon boat that we absolutely enjoy tubing, wakeboarding, water skiing, and kneeboarding behind and of course just floating!

One of my favorite things about living in Arkansas is the school spirit. I can remember wearing my Arkansas Razorback cheerleading uniform when I was a little girl and have dreamed of becoming a student at the University of Arkansas all my life. I hope to fulfill that dream someday! Woo Pig Sooey!

Another thing I have gained from being a native Arkansan would have to be my southern accent. I do not know whether to define it as a good or bad trait, but I have tried my best to tone it down.

I hope everyone has the chance to visit Arkansas at one point in their life!

"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'" - Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts