5 Lessons Pageantry Has Taught Me

There are many tips and tricks that we learn along our pageant journeys but I thought I’d share with you the five biggest lessons that pageantry has taught me that I will carry with me long after I pass down the crown.

It’s not the gown, it’s the girl in the gown. 

It’s cliché, but it’s true. I have walked into so many competitions, events, and appearances and have immediately counted myself out because I would see another beautiful young woman there in an impeccable wardrobe. Yes, in pageantry it’s important to put on your best face (or gown) and look your best because it’s part of the job but something to remember is that it isn’t the whole job. If your purpose is to be pretty, you are missing the boat. What’s on the outside isn’t going to make an impact, what’s on the inside will.

I’ll never forget walking into Miss International orientation in my discounted dress and seeking all of my beautiful pageant sister dressed to the nines. I felt so self-conscious and like I didn’t stand a chance but then we were asked a mock onstage question and the game changed. I remembered why I was there. I wasn’t there to be the most beautiful, I was there to be my self and promote something greater than myself. I’m not afraid to say that I love a spectacularly well made, quality gown but that’s not what’s going to get you to that crown and end up making a difference what’s in your head, heart and soul is.



Act as if.

Everybody has those days where you just can’t get it together and all you want to do is sit in your comfy clothes and mope. Unfortunately, that “adulting thing” gets in the way and we have to get dressed and act as if.

Especially after long work days, a full day of travel, and vigorous heart making I sometimes feel that I don’t have the energy to put on the heels and face the day. There are many of those days but the second I walk into an event or an elementary school I’m reminded of why I do what I do. It’s for the kindergarteners who are awe struck by the crown, the teens who are struggling and feel that they have no one to talk to, and for anyone who feels that there is no hope left in the world. Every day may not be a perfect one but every day is an opportunity to make a difference in the world around me. I only have a year as Miss International, I am not going to allow myself to waste it. Granted, we all have our down days but sometimes we need to act as if and take on the day that lies ahead.

It’s your year but it doesn’t always go your way.

For a classic control freak this was a hard lesson for me to learn. I more times than not would have a plan ready to go for an appearance or event and when I arrive the goes right down the toilet. As frustrating as that is, it is a huge part of being a titleholder. The ability to be flexible and adaptable is huge! Of course it is important to always be prepared for appearances and speaking engagements but arrive with the awareness that that plan is probably going to change and be ready for all possibilities.

The Work is Worth it!

There are many days where I have the thought “is it worth it?” Is it worth losing sleep? Is it worth the trauma? Is it worth the chaos?

YES!

I spend hours each day preparing presentations, making Peyton Heart Project hearts, sending emails, booking appearances, on conferences call and on top of it at my actual job to make sure that I am the best queen that I can be and make a difference for those around me. At the moment, often times, the work does not seem worth it. Then there are the moments after an eight-hour school appearance where I am at my meet and greet and a student comes up to me and shares their story telling me that I helped them. There is no work I wouldn’t do if it meant that I could save a life through my presentations. I promise you that the work we do as queens make more of a difference than we think and it is worth every second.


Enjoy every struggle.

There are many wonderful moments throughout your reign that are noteworthy and incredible. Having my photo up in Times Square, my Hearts for Hope School Tour, going to Washington DC and so many others but there are also the not so wonderful moments that are in all actuality the ones that are far more important.

One in particular was when I was on my way to New York City to see my photo in Times Square. We drove eight hours from Charleston, West Virginia in one day through New York City traffic after being up until 4 am the night before. Then when we arrived in New York City we drove through Time Square at 5 pm on a Friday so you can just imagine the traffic. When we finally found the screen and the parking ramp we ended up missing the entrance and had to drive around the block again. Once into the parking ramp I realized I had forgotten to change at the last stop. So I then changed into my dress in the car, threw on my crown and sash, and we bolted out of the parking ramp. We knew that my photo was going to be up at 6pm and it was 5:50 so we were booking it through the streets to find the screen. When we got there, we were too late. I missed it. I just stood there in the middle of Times Square in my crown and sash staring at a screen willing it to show my photo.


It was a disappointing, chaotic, and sad day but looking back it is one of my favorite moments. It was one of my favorites because I got to go to New York City for the first time, I got to take a road trip with my mom, and I learned an important lesson right of the bat when becoming Miss International and tat is; Our expectations can often times get the best of us. Don’t let the reality of those expectations ruin the moment that you are in.

We often times let the expectations we have ruin the moments right in front of us. There will always be disappointments, struggles and hard times but don’t let them be defining moments. One day, like me, you will look back on the with fondness and cherish those moments forever.

Ava Hill
Miss International 2019

Comments

Popular Posts