Pageant Patty

We’ve all heard it a million times in this industry. “Don’t be a Pageant Patty.” Now, I have nothing against Patty personally but I do believe that the secret to success in pageants is to find yourself somewhere in the pile rhinestones and hair extensions.

I started competing in pageants at 19 years old. I certainly was a stand out and not in the way that you may think. I arrived at my first ever pageant with purple and black hair, tattoos, piercings and wearing all black. When I walked into the dressing room I felt completely out of my element. If you have ever seen Little Miss Sunshine, I was the gothic Olive. I felt like I had been taken to a new planet and I definitely did not fit in appearance wise.


Despite my obvious differences in appearance and the serious side eye that I received, I placed. I placed because of my platform, dedication to my mission and who I was as a person. It’s not about the wrapping paper it’s about the gift. Right?

As I got further involved in pageants the purple hair went back to blonde and I started to add some color to my wardrobe. However, slowly but surely, Patty was starting to take my place. I began curling my hair, changing my style and doing everything I could to fit the “pageant mold”. What I didn’t realize at the time was, no matter how much I molded into someone else that isn’t going to be the deciding factor. Being authentically myself and being dedicated to my mission is what was going to be the deciding factor.


So here are a few ways away from “Pageant Patty” and find your very own pageant persona.

Branding

Branding is huge in pageants. When you are first getting started ask yourself the question “What makes me stand out?” For me, there were a few things, like my short blonde bob, my tattoos, and my story as a suicide attempt survivor. These were things that I felt set me apart from other contestants and made me, well, me.

After pinpointing physical characteristics that make you stand out, try thinking of a phrase, theme, or for my pageant ladies, platform to help solidify your brand. My Platform, The Peyton Heart Project: Hearts for Hope obviously has a very specific brand. Not only do I love working for The Peyton Heart Project because they are a phenomenal organization but Peyton Heart Project hearts are a great way to present the topic of suicide with all ages. The hearts are a great physical memento for individuals to take with them after my speaking engagements.

Whatever your brand is, it should be completely unique to you. Your individuality is your greatest superpower because it’s what makes you, you.

Image

Image goes right along with branding. When finding your individual image, think about what clothes or looks make you feel comfortable and confident. If you are wearing something that doesn’t make you feel like your very own version of Beyoncé, it’s not your look. Try to find clothing items that are cohesive and fit an image that matches your personality. If you’re a woman that likes sleek and modern clothes, don’t try to change your look to appease others or follow the trends. Stay true to you and your sense of style.

The same rule applies with hair and makeup. There have been more times than I can’t count where I have been asked to get extensions or change my hair in some way but I went against those requests because my bob haircut makes me feel confident.


When it comes to makeup, especially in pageants, I’m all for individuality but maybe nix the blue eye shadow. As a makeup artist I love to experiment with different shades and looks. However, when it comes to my pageant life, consistency is key. I try to always wear the same look so that I am easily recognizable and photo ready. For my appearances I always stick to my Clay Span go to’s so that I can look and feel my best.


Blinders

I don’t know about you, but I am the type of person who will look at another and compare myself to them. Admiring their outfit, hair, makeup, and etc. If you are like me, STOP! Especially when talking about pageants, comparison will get you nowhere. Wishing to be more like someone else will not turn you into them. You shouldn’t wish to be anyone else because you are beautiful and unique in your own way. Who knows, that person may be looking at you wishing they had your outfit, hair or whatever else.

Never waste your time comparing yourself. That doesn’t mean that you can’t admire or be inspired by others. It’s just learning to put those blinders up when in competition in order to remain focused and feel confident in yourself.

Filters (and not the Instagram kind)

As I mentioned, there have been many times where I have been given suggestions on how I should where my hair, what dress to wear, and etc. The world is full of criticism and differing opinions on how you should look, act, and present yourself. Always be open to criticism, it’s what helps you grow! It’s important however to filter what works for you and what doesn’t. What works for one person may not work for you and that’s okay because we all have our own ways of doing things and going through life.

Like I said, I have nothing against Patty but I believe that when someone finds themselves and celebrates what makes them unique, extraordinary things can happen. I hope along your pageant (or life) journey you can find the incredible person that is already within you and let them shine! Because you are all beautiful, unique and powerful beyond measure!

Have courage and always be kind!

Ava Hill
Miss International 2019

Comments

Popular Posts