Nature Walk

“Look deep into nature and then you will understand everything better.” Albert Einstein

I know that I’m not the only one who gets stressed out while working on the computer or navigating some kind of program. We’ve all had those days where we have a million things on our “to-do” lists and about half of that million required you to sit at the computer that inevitably refuses to do what you want it to.

As someone who is in the public eye where a majority of my work revolves around social media and technology, it can be a huge stressor. It came to the point where just simply posting photos made me anxious and want to toss my phone into a lake.

The constant emails, texts, phone calls and notifications can become too much at times. Living in a society that is so connected has its advantages but always being on the line of communication leads you to wanting to toss your phone into the before mentioned lake. I had reached that point and desperately needed to find a way to use technology to my advantage and in a way that can relieve stress. Technology is not going away anytime soon and I needed to learn to find a positive way to use it in my everyday life.

So I decided to go for a nature photography walk.

I bought a new camera recently and hadn’t had much time to play around with it yet. Since I had been struggling with technology, this was a way to turn my negative relationship with it into a positive one.

So I packed up my camera, picked up my friend, Bobbi, and her dog Bob (Yes, Bobbi has a dog named Bob.) and we found a beautiful trail. We spent the morning talking about life. New jobs, her starting school, relationships, family, and many other things. While we were talking I was snapping pictures of the trees, birds, and wildlife that was surrounding us. 


Walking around observing nature and catching up with an old friend was exactly what I needed. Time away from the computer, schedules, emails, phone calls and deadlines and instead time to breath in fresh air and be reminded of how small our worries are at times. There is a quote I came across “Look deeper into nature and you will understand everything better.” And there is so much truth in that. 


We often get so engrossed in our problems and situations that we fail to realize the big picture. There is a whole world out there full of possibility, wonder and opportunity. There are billions of people out there living their own lives and experiencing their own problems, some that we couldn’t possibly imagine.


In the moment, not being able to send an email or your computer crashing can make you feel like your world is imploding but in the scheme of things it’s a small complication in a world of full chaos. There will always be complications and obstacles in our lives so finding ways to positively navigate around them can make a world of difference. That’s what this nature walk was for me. It was a way to take a stressor in my life (the stressor being technology and social media) and finding a way to make it fun and relaxing. The photos are certainly not award winning and I may never make a point to go on another photography walk but spending the morning with a good friend outside enjoying fresh are and serenity was exactly what I needed in order to refresh. 


So if you are feeling overwhelmed and or stuck in a monotonous cycle at work/school get outside or go explore a new place.

Ava Hill
Miss International 2019

Comments

Popular Posts