Hold On To Hope - Because No Child Should Grieve Alone

Feb 1st, 1991 my father was killed in an airplane crash at Los Angeles International Airport. I was only two years old. To this day, I have no memories of my father. I grew up not knowing who he was, what traits I may have had of his, or if he was proud of me. A huge misconception of childhood grief is that children who face traumatic events at a young age aren’t affected. This is simply not true. Young children grieve in different ways- and often don’t face their feelings until they are older because they held it in. All children and adults, no matter their age, ALL GRIEVE.

Spending time with a child who lost her family in Mexico.

Hold On To Hope was started by me and is comprised of several different aspects:

Hold On To Hope Workbook- This is a workbook I created for children who have lost a parent, or even both parents, and want to keep their memories alive. In this book, they can store photos and memories lasting for generations.

Edwin Riddle Memorial Fund- This is a memorial fund I have established in honor of my late father. I fundraise money for children around the world and at Camp Erin’s.

Snap Bracelets- I have Bracelets that I distribute to children that say “It doesn’t get easier, you get stronger – Hold On To Hope” It is a constant reminder to them that they are not alone and that they are capable of strength.

Helping children work through grief in Africa.

A very large part of my platform is volunteering at, promoting and raising funds for Camp Erin:

Camp Erin, created and funded by The Moyer Foundation, is the worlds largest network of free bereavement camps for children and teens ages 6-17 who have experienced the death of someone close to them. It is a weekend-long experience filled with traditional, fun, camp activities combined with grief education and emotional support -- facilitated by grief professionals and trained volunteers. At Camp Erin, children are comforted knowing that there are other children who have had similar grief and loss experiences and feelings. Campers have an opportunity to tell their story, express their feelings and memorialize their loved ones. They are provided with the tools and resources needed during and after camp, including memories and friendships that last long after camp is complete. Each Camp Erin is facilitated through a long-term partnership with a local bereavement agency. Together, these organizations and The Moyer Foundation raise funds to help bring the healing experience of Camp Erin to children each year.

Memorial Board at Camp Erin- Children post photos of their lost loved ones.

Camp Erin and The Moyer Foundation were most recently featured in an HBO documentary entitled “One Last Hug” and was nominated for an Emmy! You can watch the Trailer below!


I will be sharing more about my plan of action as your new Miss International 2014 very soon! SO STAY Tuned!!!!

Me with the Founders of the Moyer foundation, Jamie and Karen Moyer at The Annual Children’s giving luncheon in Seattle, Washington.

Ignite your spark,

Samantha Riddle
Miss International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts