Arkansas

The Natural State, the Land of Opportunity, and Hog Nation are just a few nicknames given to my home state of Arkansas. Pronounced Arkan“saw” not Ar“Kansas.” I am a product of this great state. It’s where I was born and raised!

In Arkansas we are loud and we are proud! We love our Razorbacks, the mascot for the University Of Arkansas! My dad was a cheerleader for the Hogs in college. Needless to say, I have been a die-hard Razorback football fan since I was young! We are also proud to claim the Clintons. If you ever come to visit me in Arkansas you will more than likely be flying into the Bill and Hillary Clinton National Airport!

We have been calling the Hogs together for as long as I can remember! Woo pig sooie!

I was lucky enough to meet Mrs. Clinton a few months ago when she was in Little Rock for a book signing.

It isn’t unusual for me to see a gorgeous sunrise like this. I took this picture on my back deck one morning before school.

If you haven’t been, you need to plan a trip to visit. If you love the outdoors there are so many exciting things to do and see. You could hike to the top of Pinnacle Mountain, watch the Great Passion Play in Eureka Springs, dig for diamonds at the Crater of Diamonds State Park, tour a cave at Blanchard Springs Caverns, or one of my personal favorites- spend a day relaxing, fishing or boating on one of our 2,240 gorgeous lakes. It’s super easy to stay active in Arkansas!!!

Water sports are all the rage in Arkansas. I learned to ski when I was 7 years old.

There’s nothing better than a watching the sunset on the lake after a fun day on the water.

Our average temperature range is 58 to 65. We aren’t typically known for our moderate temperatures or annual snowfall totals, but we are well known for our humidity. You don’t get a lot of “good hair days” during the summer months in Arkansas! When it snows even just a little, school is cancelled and everyone stays home.

We don’t get snow often, but when we do it is always pretty!

There are some interesting things you might not know about Arkansas. We are #1 in the nation for rice and poultry production. We are the home of Wal-Mart founder, Sam Walton. Every spring, Wye Mountain in Bigelow is covered with about 250,000 daffodils. You have to see it to believe it! The nation’s oldest cemetery in located in Fort Smith. You can soak in water from a hot spring on bath row in Hot Springs National Park. And last, but not least, the Ozark National Forest covers more than one million acres.


That is only a sampling of the many, many, many things that my home state has to offer. I’m sure you can see from my pictures why Arkansas is called the Natural State. It truly is a beautiful place to live and I’m proud to be an Arkansan. Even though I LOVE my home state, I also love to travel! This year I hope to be “coming to a city near you.” I am excited to visit as many new places as I can during my reign!

If you believe in something, believe in it all the way!

Blair Wortsmith
Miss Teen International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts