3 Tips to Curb Your Cravings - Part 1

We all face it and can fall in to the temptation of foods that at the time seem like a great idea and taste like a good idea too….until 5 minutes later we feel miserable.

Health is a very important part of my life and not so I can fit into a size 2 dress, but to live heart healthy for my family, and to serve them with energy, a healthy mind, body and soul.

We are nearing the American Heart Association’s Go Red for Women Day in February and hopefully everyday, not just the few days in to 2015 as a part of a resolution you seek to live heart healthy for you and those around you.

This year in 2015 as I re-structure how our family eats to be more organic, I will be sharing some more health centered blogs.

A few things to know about me before we get in to any of them:
  • I don’t keep a scale in my house and only weigh myself a few times a year as needed like doctor’s appointments. Health is not about a number at my feet. If you just focus on being skinny, that is not healthy.
  • I don’t diet. Life is about balance and our meals should reflect this as well. I helped used the perfect plate to get ready for Mrs. International to stay balanced, but I also made sure it was portioning out fast foods or chips with it…those are energy killers. 
  • Admitting, I have been through more drive through than I can count to feed my family in the hurry of life. I found myself last year asking myself if this really the best thing for my family? Is this the nutrition legacy I want to leave with them? My husband and I both grew up in poor homes, Ramen, chips and TV dinners were our diets, whatever was cheap. But my parents still have some of those same habits and with it came numerous health issues. It is extra effort, but I am focused on taking the time to pack healthy snacks or meals to go when we are busy. It is my act of love to my family to help them be heart healthy and give them a healthy future with smart eating habits.
Ok, enough said, here we go, the Top 10 Tips to Curb Cravings!!! You can do it, this is for you, your heart health, your mind and your soul.
  • Avoid Your Triggers: The reality is you crave what you eat. As you make healthier choices, your old cravings will weaken. This year I am attempting to go Gluten-Free. I was honestly a little critical about this lifestyle before, but after embracing it have experienced a huge change in my energy, skin and eating habits. Certain situations can trigger your emotions as well and foods can tie in to our memories, becoming an emotional eating trigger. Easier said than done to avoid all situations, but you have the power to choose where you go.
  • Balance your blood sugar: Research shows low blood sugar levels are associated with low blood flow to the brain, which can jeopardize your ability to make good decisions. (Ever grocery ship hungry…get my point?) A nutritious breakfast helps keep your blood sugar stable. Fill your perfect plate with items like eggs or a protein shake or nut butters. Oatmeal is great as well and one of my go to breakfast items. Avoid eating 2 to 3 hours before bedtime so you can get a great nights sleep. 

  • Eliminate Sugar, artificial sweetness and refined carbs: It can be best to just go cold turkey, but also don’t worry if you celebrate or a special occasion with a dessert. Just don’t go driving around town finding birthday’s to justify cake everyday ☺ Soda, juices, artificial sweeteners, these all trigger cravings and your dentist will surely thank you as well. Heavy amounts of sugar have been liked to obesity, high blood pressure, heart disease and diabetes. Stats show that the average American eats 130 pounds of sugar a year!!!
Well friends, this will get us started on curb cravings tips, stay tuned for more to come and choose to live Heart Healthy!

Live What you Love,

Maggi
Your Mrs. International 2014

#GiveShoesGiveLove

Comments

Popular Posts