A Blog on Blogging

One of the best pieces of advice I have been given along my pageant journey was to create a blog! I launched my personal blog in October 2012, and I am so glad I did!

Blogging for the International Pageants blog is a part of the job requirement as Miss, Teen, and Mrs. International. Having blog experience in the past made the transition into this position much easier. I was used to documenting my appearances, posting about healthy living, and sharing the pageant system with the world.

It can be tough getting your own blog started, so here are five of my biggest pieces of advice as you begin your blogging journey!

1- Dedicate a morning or afternoon to get used to the server you are using to post. Whether it is Blogger, Word Press, or another, it can take some getting used to it. Practice changing the theme, adding new posts, and adjusting to the features your server offers. It’ll make future posting much simpler!

2- Make your page engaging! The International Pageants Blog is a beautiful purple with lots of pictures and graphics that draw you in. I had a little too much fun making my personal blog pretty as I designed it haha. I recommend adding lots of features and widgets that make it a simpler and more captivating experience for the reader.

3- Read other blogs to get a feel for “blog land.” It can be a little intimidating at first if you don’t know exactly what you are doing. I promise that it is better to not know what you're doing as you prepare for your state/area pageant or for the International Pageant, not after you are crowned the winner.

4- Set goals for yourself on how many posts you wish to write and how many people you hope to reach. Having measurements of improvement are a great motivator when growing your page.

5- Have fun with it! I have loved blogging when it wasn't mandatory, so now that it is a requirement it doesn't feel like “work.” Sharing the things you are doing as a titleholder should be enjoyable!

For some inspiration you can browse through the Archives on the right side of the page as far back as 2010! You can also find my personal blog at https://blairwortsmith.wordpress.com. Happy blogging! :)


If you believe in something, believe in it all the way!

Blair Wortsmith
Miss Teen International 2014

Comments

Popular Posts