Grass Is Greener Where You Water It


I've always liked the quote "The grass isn't always greener on the other side... The grass is greener where you water it". In a culture where there is a tendency for us to post all of the highlights of our lives for others to see, it's no wonder why it's easy to look at someone else's life and be envious. This can be especially true if you are watching someone receive the things you have always wanted. But with every joyous occasion that a person shares with you, there is also heartache, pain and struggles that are not always mentioned. Sometimes we stand under the false belief that if we could switch lives, or have what they have, then we would be happy. Unfortunately, life does not work that way. Here are a few tips that I have found helpful when I find myself trying to find "greener grass":

#1 See the cup half full instead of half empty. Instead of dwelling on what you do not have, think about the blessings you do have. I always tell my patients that "There is someone that would switch places with you in a second... Even with all of your struggles. Tell me why you think they would?" This allows them an opportunity to explain the good things that are going on in their lives. If you have never asked yourself that question, you should try it!

#2 Happiness vs Joy. We can all be fooled to think that we will be "happy" if we just had more money, more time, more ___________ (fill in the blank). But the truth is that happiness is a temporary emotion. Yes, you may be happy for a little while, but the happiness will wear off and you will be in search of something. Having joy is a state of being. You could be sad, but still have joy in your heart. Being joyful really means that no matter what you're going through, or what your life does not have, you will choose to be positive. Choose joy!

#3 Be careful with the "if only" statements. In my weak moments, I'll find myself saying "If only I had this..." and "If only I had that...". Recently I have tried really hard to stay away from those statements and instead say "Thank you, God for this..." And "Thank you, God for that...". If we have an attitude of gratitude, your perspective will change!

Let's all remember to water and invest in the "grass" we have been given!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts