Care for Carey 5K


Mrs. International is truly a job of service. This pageant system is so unique and special to me because it not only gives me and my family, but countless other state, regional, and country title holders, the opportunity to champion many causes and ultimately change lives.

I am extremely blessed to have a Mr. who believes in and exercises caring for others. Jason is truly a remarkable individual. He is a Godly man who is motivated by helping others. Just to give you an example; in 2007, I worked tirelessly with members of legislation to move NC from a state of intent to one of consent when it comes to organ donation. What did Jason do in 2007 to show his support and belief in saving others through organ donation? He rode his bicycle across the continental U.S. in the Race Across AMerica (RAAM) with Team Donate Life. In addition he donated one of his kidneys to Scott Thornburg, a very close friend in our Sunday school class! When I stated he’s remarkable, I wasn’t just trying to get brownie points with my hubby! He is one who leads by example. He inspires me to do more…


Currently he is coordinating a very special event that is coming up on August, 21, 2010. The first annual “Care For Carey 5K” will take place at Shelby City Park in Shelby, NC beginning at 8am. The Care For Carey 5K is a fundraiser for Carey Heavner, a remarkable little girl from our hometown who is currently battling stage 4 colon cancer. Jason thoroughly believes that when people are in need it is imperative that we pray for them.

But Jason also believes that almost as important is that we don’t JUST pray for them. Love requires action and he lets that motivate him to take action. So he and a few others decided to coordinate and host a 5K on Carey’s behalf. Jason has ran in many 5Ks before but this is his first experience of coordinating one from the ground up. As rewarding of an experience as it has been for him to this point, it is evident that his greatest reward comes from being able to spend time with Carey who has been nothing but courageous, admirable and inspirational throughout. This past week he and a friend gave Carey the #1 bib for the race. Certainly NO other number would be fitting of such a heroic person.

Although I am not much of a runner myself, you can bet that August 21, 2010 I will have my running shoes on in support of Carey. I just need to make sure I don’t run so fast that my crown falls off…

To read more about Carey’s story visit her Caring Bridge www.caringbridge.org/visit/careyheavner


Shannon Devine

Comments

  1. You are an amazing family, and Carey is so lucky to have you supporting her cause and fight against cancer! This is what it is all about, and if everyone put in just a little time of their own, so many would be helped! Thank you for all you are doing as Mrs. International and also as a family!
    Jane Marshall
    Mrs. Massachusetts International

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shannon,
    You and your family are truly inspiring to me. I love that you are using the crown for what it is.....a microphone to bring awareness to so many other touching stories and causes other than your own platform. I can tell Jason has a heart of gold and a drive to help others as well. Carey's fight against this disease becomes easier with the support of the world behind her; I hope that everyone gets involved to help this beautiful little girl. She is in my thoughts and prayers.
    Dedria Brunett
    Miss Teen California International 2010

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts