My Mom Is An Overcomer


In 2005… my family was rocked to the core when Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer.

I was just 12 years old at the time and I remember exactly how she told me. We were in the living room. She was on the couch when she looked at me and said, “I have some news for you. I have breast cancer. We’re going to be okay and I’ll start treatment soon.” I gave her a hug and told her I loved her before returning to the computer to tell my friend what I just learned. At such a young age, I was entirely unaware how much our life as Team Moreno was about to change.

Dad and I would often find mom trying to rest on the couch, but I didn’t fully understand until I found her hair that had fallen out. This sight made it real and it finally hit me that I could lose my mom.

Momma went through 8 rounds of chemotherapy, a lumpectomy and 30 days of radiation. This process was beyond challenging on her body, but she never once gave up or doubted that she would live. I will never forget my mom laughing and smiling while at the hospital, through doctor appointments, or when she was playing with her wig. Dad and I even named her “Eggy” because her head resembled an egg - we learned to laugh through the pain and struggle.

My mom is a warrior and truly the most amazing woman I have ever met. Being her daughter is a blessing. She’ll never know how much I appreciate everything that she is and ever has been.

When I was born, Momma Moreno gave up her dream job as a band director to be a stay at home mom. She poured so much into me from a very young age and even homeschooled me until second grade. As a pre-teen I became interested in pageants and she made my first dress. My dream to become a pageant representative became her dream too. She did everything within her power to help me become who God created me to be. Sacrifice after sacrifice, she has radiated God’s love my entire life. I would be not be who I am without her unfailing love, guidance and support.

She’s a wife, mom, grandma to Walt, teacher, mentor, overcomer and above all… my hero.

October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. This terrible disease is is the most common cancer among women worldwide and the second-most common cancer overall.

Through fundraising events, education, and research support… we are making strides to end breast cancer. Together… we will honor and celebrate all those who have fought or been impacted by breast cancer.

Mom - I pray that I can be even half the wife, woman, and mom you are. I love you to the moon and back.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts