Moments of Victory

In August, I celebrated three years of pursuing recovery from an eating disorder. 

It has not always been easy but it has always been worth it. This past week… I realized that because of the illness I faced… I was missing out on one of my biggest passions and favorite activities.

Prior to the eating disorder, I loved to create. Things didn’t have to be perfect so I enjoyed expressing myself through different mediums of art. My favorites were painting and baking different treats for friends in family. Over time, these activities began bringing me extreme anxiety because my crafts weren't “perfect” and being around food made me nervous.

This week… I began painting and baking again. I truly forgot how much I loved doing these things. I painted a large sign for an upcoming party and created Rice Krispie treats dipped in chocolate as favors. These small things made me realize how far I’ve come in recovery and how thankful I am that life is mine to enjoy again. I get to enjoy small moments and big ones for all the days to come.

How much do we miss out on things in life because they aren’t perfect or because it brings us anxiety? We look at whatever is before us and quit before we even start because we believe there’s no way we could accomplish or overcome what is before us? If you’re in a battlefield of the mind… I know it’s challenging and scary but there is a way out.

When the temptations and fear comes in like a roaring storm, trust that there is hope and that there will be a day when you realize that you overcame what you thought would kill you.

There will be a moment when you look back at where you were and you can truly say in your heart, “Victory is mine.”

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts