When Halloween Isn't Easy


When you are facing a challenging relationship with food… Halloween is not easy. You so deeply want to be able to enjoy the sweets and holiday, but your disordered thoughts will tell you that just one piece will make you gain weight. For many years, I was in this battle. I missed out on countless Halloween parties and Trick-or-Treating opportunities because I believed all the lies.

With October 31st right around the corner, my heart goes out to all those who may have similar thoughts. Maybe you’re on a diet and find yourself thinking the same thing. As an eating disorder survivor, I can promise you… and this is evidence based… a few pieces of candy will not impact your weight. However - letting memories fly by because of your mental illness will impact your life.

During this time, I also struggled with finding a costume that allowed me to feel comfortable in my body. With costumes covering less and less, I felt cornered. How could I dress up modestly and not feel like I wanted to crawl out of my skin because it was fitted? Most have no idea the vicious thoughts that plague those dealing with negative body image. However, I know they are there and I know they are able to be overcome.

Intentionally planning and preparing for the mental battlefield that comes with Halloween will allow you to enjoy each moment and leave your disordered thoughts at home.

Use these tips to make the most of your Halloween no matter how you’re feeling about your body!

1. Don’t Stress The Costume

Most fabrics for costumes are not the most flattering. Don’t let this prevent you from having an amazing night. Make your own costume from what you already have and dress your body in away you feel comfortable.

2. Make A Plan

Disordered thoughts are likely to come during this night. Instead of walking into the night blind, have a point of contact you feel comfortable speaking to if something negative arises.

3. Involve Yourself In Activities Other Than Food

Corn mazes, pumpkin carving, and scary movies are great options that can help ease stress during this time.

4. Enjoy The Candy

One piece of candy will not change your weight. During treatment, I learned this the hard way. My nutritionist and I worked to make sure that I would be intentional about having a few pieces and truly enjoying the taste.

5. Leave If Necessary

I know this night can get hard - and if the severity reaches an unmanageable level… there is nothing wrong with leaving early. Halloween will come back around next year and you will be even stronger. It’s better to leave eating disorder free than push yourself to stay and end up using symptoms.

These strategies and tips will help you enjoy the holiday and take one step closer to overcoming the disordered thoughts!

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts