Book Signing to Benefit Families of 9/11 Victims


On Saturday, Sept 11th I attended the book signing of the book published by my personal trainer, Walter Lewis. Walter is donating a portion of the proceeds to the families of the victims of the Sept 11th attacks, so I felt strongly about attending the event, not only to support Walter, but also to do my part to support the victims’ families. On the way to the event, which was located near the Pentagon, we passed the Pentagon and contemplated that day 9 years ago.


We arrived at the Arlington, VA hotel that was the host location of the book signing and were warmly welcomed by Walter, multiple photographers, and sister queens, Chelsea Rodgers (Miss DC International 2010), Alexis Harvey (Miss Teen DC International 2010), and Rita Sinha, the director of Miss and Miss Teen District of Columbia International.


This was a treat for me not only because Chelsea and Alexis were so sweet and fun at Nationals, but also because, as a former DC International queen, the DC International queens and director are like family to me.


After buying our copy of the book and getting it autographed, we watched the promotional DVD for the book (I am featured in the DVD, including my crowning shot)!


Walter is one of the top fitness trainers in the Washington, DC metropolitan area and did a fabulous job helping me tone and prepare for the fitness competition at Nationals.


All of our trainings were outdoors, typically in 90 degree temperatures with high humidity. Walter had some unusual exercises, like when he had me pull his Hummer with power bands!


He helped get me on track, not only from an exercise and fitness perspective (I now love to run), but also by teaching me to analyze my eating habits, paying attention to and making note of what I eat, when I eat, and how I feel when I eat.


I am so glad that I was able to do my part to help the families of the 9/11 victims on its 9th anniversary. I am so proud to be a part of a nation that continues to stand strong through all adversities!

Juliana McKee

Comments

Popular Posts