Family Legacy

I know I have blogged quite a bit about Delta Beta Sigma, the high school sorority in my community. But I am going to tell a little about the history of my family's participation. The National Sorority was founded in 1903 at the Columbia Institute in Columbia, Tennessee. The Omega chapter (in my community) was created in 1930. In 1909 the first member of my family to become a member of DBS was initiated into a chapter in Tennessee. Since then there has been a member of my family active in this sorority in every decade. I am so lucky to have kept the family legacy going. It is truly a family legacy of community service. We did lots of research and I was so honored when the National DBS' fall newsletter did a story on my family and our legacy.

Our sorority revolves around philanthropy year round. Each year we receive a new charity to fund and volunteer. Each chapter raises as much money as possible and comes together at convention during the summer. Last year our charity was Ronald McDonald House which is how I first got involved with that organization and this year our charity is the Wounded Warrior Project. I am so excited to start philanthropy season and raise awareness about this incredible organization. Wounded Warrior Project will be such a heart warming project – not many of us can even begin to imagine what these men and women have been through. My sisters make volunteering fun and I am so lucky to have a group of girls who share the same passion for service.


“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible.” - Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts