Family Night

From my own experiences growing up, to the work I do with families, I am a big advocate for family nights! This is a time where families turn off their cell phones, and tune into each other and what is going on in their lives. Whether it is once a week or every other week, this time together allows the family to focus on what is most important in life! I am a firm believer that family is not always the family you were born into, it is those people who have your back and support you through thick and thin. Here are some suggestions to guide your next family night!


1. Pick a night that everyone is available and will not be rushed. When I was little, every Friday night was family night! Now that I am an "adult child" with a crazy schedule, I pick one night a week to spend with my family over dinner or a fun activity!

2. Vote on a family friendly restaurant where everyone will be able to enjoy something they like, and the atmosphere is built for fun and lots of laughter. For those on a budget, you can have just as much fun at home! I very fondly remember nights making homemade pizza and cookies or brownies at home! 


3. Play Games! From Monoply to Candy Land, to Uno, making some yummy snacks and playing some games is so much fun with your loved ones! Of course I went old-school on you, because there are lots of family fun games that involve electronics too! Heads Up is a game you can download on your phone or tablet, and is guaranteed hours of fun! 


4. Conversation. Family night is a great opportunity to check in to see how everyone is doing. From what is happening at school with the kids, to how work is going. These precious moments give you perspective into the lives you care so much about.


No matter what you decide to do, make sure it involves everyone and that you all are having a great time! For those with children, I can tell you from experience how much those family nights meant to me. And now as an adult, I see so much value in this time together, that I can't wait to start my own family to continue this tradition!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts