Interview Coach – Should You Hire One?

Over my years of pageantry, I have been asked how I trained for competition. Typically the first thing I will say is that I work with an interview coach. Some people are quick to dismiss that type of preparation as I’ve been told “Don’t you just answer the judges’ questions? Why would you hire someone to help you with that?” Little do they know that the interview process can make or break your chances of winning the crown. Specifically for the crown of Miss International, interview is 40% of your score. You want to make sure to bring your A game!


Although I encourage contestants to work with an interview coach, I see it beyond just trying to win a crown. I can’t tell you how many interviews I have done and felt very confident when walking out of the interview room. From leadership positions in high school and college, to my huge graduate school interview and also job offers. The skills that I initially learned to help me in a pageant have more than prepared me for life. Knowing the proper interview attire, how to answer certain questions, giving a firm handshake…these are all important aspects of interviewing. And had I not worked with an interview coach, and also had a mother who interviews people for a living!... I would have missed out on an incredibly opportunity to advance myself in my career and in how I deal with people day-to-day. Although interview coaches can cost a pretty penny, it is such a valuable investment for making sure you feel your best whether its for competition or for the real world!

Continuing to break the stigma,

Elise Banks
Miss International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts