The Ultimate International Service Trip Packing List


Earlier this year, I had to pack for the Philippines on my advocacy trip for Yellow Boat of Hope. I am not a “travel light” kind of person so I really had to think long and hard about what I should bring and make them all fit in one carry-on luggage. The struggle of course was not what to bring for the remote places but what to bring for a couple of appearances I had to make with my sash and crown.

On Monday next week I will be flying out to Haiti. This is my second international service trip just a few months apart. I want to share my essential packing list should you have to do an international service trip. I will not have to bring heels or appearance outfits to Haiti so those I will not be packing.
  1. Luggage:  
    • ONE.  You choose a carry-on, a backpack or a wheeled duffle bag but the point is that plan to only pack ONE luggage.
    • I opt for a Carry-on - it saves me on airline fees, I don’t have to worry about losing my luggage and it’s easy to handle over whatever terrain should you have to walk a long distance with it
  2. Sash and Crown
    • Round Hard Container
    • Pack Sash and Crown and some shirts into the container
  3. Packing Cubes:
    • Keep your stuff organized
    • They also keep your outfits less rumpled
    • When you’re busy going from place to place, you don’t want to have to rifle through everything just to get to that one shirt
  4. Toiletry bag:
    • Follow the TSA 3-1-1 rule:  Use 1 quart ziplock to fit your 3 oz shampoo, conditioner, lotion, moisturizer, sunblock and toothpaste
    • Toothbrush, hairbrush, comb
    • First Aid - band-aids, chapsticks, cold medicines and lozenges, allergy meds, hydrocortisone cream and antibacterial gel, and diarrhea meds
    • Pack of wet wipes and insect repellant wipes
    • Sewing kit, nail cutter, small scissors
  5. Technology:
    • Mobile device and charger
    • Laptop and charger
    • Camera/goPro and charger
    • Extra mobile battery charger
    • Adapters specific to the country you are going to
  6. Clothes:  When choosing clothes, try to have a color theme so you can mix and match your clothes.
    • 1 long pants - use for travel
    • 2 light dresses
    • 3 capris or shorts
    • 6 short sleeve shirts
    • 10 pairs of undergarments
    • 1 long sleeve shirt
    • 1 light jacket
    • 1 hat
    • 1 pair sunglasses
  7. Shoes:
    • One pair of heels for any appearances I had to do
    • One pair of sneakers - for travel and for hiking rough terrain
    • One pair of slippers

Carly Peeters
Miss Teen International 2017

Comments

Popular Posts