Travel Tips for Teens Traveling Solo


Growing up in Hawaii traveling is not new to me. There is this thing called “rock fever” that plagues Hawaii locals where they just have a need to get off the island for a bit. My family was definitely afflicted because I remember traveling regularly to the Mainland US or to other countries for vacation. Even so, I have never had to travel by myself until recently after being crowned Miss Teen International. As a 16-year old, I was allowed to travel unaccompanied but different airlines have different rules so make sure you check beforehand.

Dress comfortably. Yes, you should always try to look good but when you travel you may be stuck in your teeny tiny airline seat for awhile and you don’t want to be uncomfortable. Some guidelines for choosing a travel outfit:
  • Comfortable but stylish, definitely not jeans - i like leggings or joggers
  • Layers, in case you get cold, or get hot.
  • Pockets (always need pockets)
  • Flat shoes 
Use a zippered carryon. Preferably with lots of zippered pockets to keep the stuff you need organized. It has to be zippered because you don’t want anything falling out of your bag when you stuff it under the seat in front of you or on the overhead bin.

How to Pack Carryon:

a) ACCESSIBLE ZIPPERED POCKET 1  
- Id

- Wallet - Cash, credit/debit card (no cash taken onboard if you want to buy snacks)

- Boarding Pass

b) ZIPPERED POCKET 2

- Headphones

- Extra phone battery

- Phone wall charger (your phone may die by the time you get to your layover so you will need to be able to charge your phone while you wait for you next flight)

Get on TSA Pre✓. It is an expedited screening program that you enroll in at specific Identogo locations (www.identogo.com) and if you qualify you get your Known Traveller Number (KTN). It costs money and takes a few weeks to complete, but it is well worth it if you will be traveling a lot. If you can’t get on TSA Pre✓ be sure to wear socks because you will need to get your shoes off to get through airport security.

PACK FOOD. They don’t really feed you on airlines anymore, unless it is an international flight. Some airlines sell lunch, dinner or snack boxes but there are not much to choose from. If your flight is more than 2 hours, eat or pack your lunch or dinner. Otherwise, pack some snacks for the flight. Sub sandwiches are great because they are filling and travels well.

Stranger Danger. Yes, even as a teen we still have to observe the stranger danger rule. It is even more important because we look vulnerable and easy targets. Things to remember:
  • Know where your gate is and listen for gate changes.
  • Pay attention to what is going on around you.
  • Do not walk and text.
  • Stay in well-lit areas with other people around.
Keep in touch with your adult. I keep my parents informed throughout my trip.
  • I text when I get through security. 
  • I text when I get to my gate. 
  • I text when we board.
  • I text when we land.
  • I text when I connect with the person picking me up.
  • I text when I get to my destination.
  • Text, text, text. Phone calls work too.
Carly
Miss Teen International 2017

Comments

Popular Posts