Grace


Life is not perfect but it’d be nice if it was for a day… right?

I think sometimes we get this idea in our mind of how situations should go and how people should act. Notice the word “should”. When people or situations fall short of this “should”… then we harbor the pain or disappointment. Maybe we don’t forgive them or get over it… we brush it under the rug and hope it goes away. We often hold people or situations to a higher standard than we’d like to be held to.

I am guilty of this and it’s something that I’ve had to have a “come to Jesus” moment about. As Miss International, I’ve found myself, more often than not, on a plane and looking out the window. This time is typically used to listen to a sermon and think about all the different things God is and has been doing in my life. Somewhere over the United States I heard my God whisper say, “This isn’t about you Amanda. It’s what I’ve freely given to you. Get over yourself and show My love and grace.” Well… that was clear as day, God.

We have to remember that we also fall short of the glory of God every day and we aren’t perfect. We can show grace to others and situations because God gave it freely to us. We show it when we realize we have received it. I realized that it was an issue of pride. An issue that I had to overcome and one that would destroy meaningful relationship if I couldn’t.

This issue stems from my battle with perfectionism, but I am so thankful to say that it’s something that Jesus has faithfully helped me with. I’d like to think I have it all together, but sadly that’s not reality. I do my best; just like all of us. I have good days and bad days; but each day needs to point people back to Him. I’m not saying it’s always easy… but I am saying it’s worth it.

A true beauty is able to show gentleness and self-control even when it’s not ideal. A true beauty extends grace because she knows who has the real authority over her life and the unique gift she has to speak life into others.

What makes us the authority over what is “right” or “perfect”? Grace allows us to break up with the idea of perfection and grab onto the idea of love and acceptance. Let’s show beauty to others and situations by showing them grace and removing our expectations of perfection from everyone and everything!

True beauty isn’t perfect - but it does love others… exhibit self-control… have patience… and extend grace.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts