Opinions Are Not Facts


“You’re too fat.”

“You’ll never win.”

“You reached your pageant prime when you were 19.”

“You’ve got thunder thighs.”

“Your smile is too crooked and when you smile your eyes are small."

All of these opinions are ones that I’ve heard since I was a young girl in elementary school. Whether it was on the school playground, on a message board, or backstage. By being in this industry, we are subjected to commentary and opinions from those we know and some we don’t. For a long time, I believed all these lies. I thought I could never measure up or be good enough because other people’s opinion ruled my life.

There came a point when I realized that… just because someone said something negative about me… doesn’t mean it is true. People say things all day long - negative and positive. Either way, it doesn’t make it factual.

A fact is defined as….

“a thing that is indisputably the case”

If we’re going to break down the “you’re too fat” opinion… we have a few things to consider. If I’m “too” fat, then what does someone look like who is fat instead of “too” fat? What are we comparing my body to? What is the definition of a standard body? I have fat - we all do… but what makes me defined by fat?

Where are our definitions to use in for comparison coming from? To one person you may be “too thin” and to another you may be “too fat.” They are all opinions - and opinions are not factual. Good or bad - they are not indisputably the case.

When you have opinions thrown your way, I encourage you to challenge them in your mind. Consider if there is any part that may be true or if it is in fact just an opinion. I do this when I hear opinions as well. To talk through it, I’ll sit on my porch with a cup of coffee and essentially talk through what I did in the previous paragraphs. I consider the reasoning and logically think through things that stick to me.

Who is to say that you’re not good enough - pretty enough - thin enough - smart enough? You are more than enough and a daughter of the most high King. He sees no flaw in you. That’s a fact.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts