I Changed Competition Gowns


I spent almost a full year preparing to become Miss International 2016. After 15 years in the industry, one might think it’d be a quick process for me… but it was quite the opposite. I gave everything I had for this job and everything was done intentionally.

In early February of 2016, I went to the Atlanta Apparel Mart to work with fabulous designers to find THE dress. I selected a gown that I thought was perfect at the moment. My family loved it and it was beautiful in many ways. The decision was made in about 2 hours; I left feeling confident but wondering what it’d look like when it arrived months later and if it was indeed the best gown out there.


In April, I attended the Miss International Trunk Show to work with the best of the best in the pageant industry and further create the image of Miss International within who I am. I scheduled a shoot with Clay Spann and planned on purchasing a few dresses from the store for the week in Jacksonville. Joey, from The Competitive Image, pulled dresses with Sherri Hill but nothing felt quite right.

I explained, “I want a dress that I can show my little girl years down the road and have her absolutely adore it. I want timeless, elegant, modest, classy, and simple. The style of Princess Diana, Julie Andrews, Grace Kelly, Audrey Hepburn. I want to love my gown for the rest of my life.”

There were plenty of couture dresses on display. He expressed that he wanted to be respectful of my budget but there was a gown that perfectly described everything that I wanted to exude as Miss International. Joey pulled out the most stunning velvet - bardot neckline - mermaid style gown. Once putting the gown on… I knew that there was something exquisitely different about it. This gown could be a part of my life for years to come. The entire team loved the gown as well. My mother almost fell out of her chair because it was so perfect.

We decided to sleep on it and consider our options overnight. I learned my lesson from making quick decisions. After prayer and discussing it with my team… we returned to The Competitive Image the following day and purchased my dream dress.


I changed gowns with little time to spare before everything had to be registered. It was a tough decision - but the right one. I 100% stand behind the beautiful Sherri Hill I won in… and I’d wear it every day for the rest of my life if I could.

Have you started considering what your gown will look like when you compete for the job you long for? Start gathering photos and looking for style inspiration. Know who you are and what you want to represent when you compete in the evening gown portion of the pageant.

My biggest suggestion and secret is to work with The Competitive Image. Joey is extremely knowledgeable, considerate of budgets, encouraging, and one of the most phenomenal friends and sponsors I’ve ever met. He knows how to help you create your own image of Miss International and thrive in who you were created to be.

Joey - I would not be where I am without you. Thank you for believing in me even when I didn’t believe in myself. I am forever grateful for your skill, heart, and friendship.

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts