Healthy Choices at Nationals

If you are on a strict diet preparing for Nationals, the food in the hotel is pretty limited. Your choices are salad, fruit or oatmeal, unless you order room service. I absolutely loved the Nature Valley Oatmeal. I would eat at least three of those a day. Sometimes my mom would order grilled chicken or shrimp cocktail while I was at rehearsal, so it would be ready when I got back to the room.

Jacksonville is a big city so your parents can make a run to the store during the day to get you some food to keep you on your pageant week diet. I usually ate a granola bar for breakfast if I didn’t stock up on oatmeal the night before. There is also a restaurant in the hotel that has healthy choices. Your choices to drink are either water or unsweet tea. I would get water, squeeze a few lemons in it, dump in a packet of Splenda and call it lemonade.

There are a lot of ways to compromise healthy things that taste similar to unhealthy things. Even though unhealthy foods can be hard to pass up, healthy choices make you feel better, improve your health, and give you energy. You’ll need all the energy you can get at Nationals. It’s a lot of late nights and early mornings. Remember, you are all ambassadors for the American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women, so lead by example and make heart healthy choices!

“Nothing is impossible, the word itself says ‘I’m possible.” – Audrey Hepburn

Jules Fletcher
Miss Teen International 2015

Comments

Popular Posts