Packing Gowns for Internationals

I've been in this industry for 16 years now... and the age old question can still be a mystery. How does one pack a very expensive, and sometimes large, gown for travel? We don't always have the luxury of the competition being in our home state or just hours away. However, wouldn't it be great if we did? Last year the pageant was held in Jacksonville, FL.... and just a stones throw from Georgia. Praise the Lord, because we packed my Mom's van and just drove all my wardrobe down with us.

This year... things are different. We've got to get our gowns there a) safely and b) with as few wrinkles as possible. There are a few options and it truly comes down to what you feel more comfortable with. No stress ladies, we've got this. Plan ahead and you'll be good to go!

There are two major options if you are flying in: pack or ship. I'll be doing both.

Let's start with packing the gown! Whatever you do, DO NOT put your gown or competition wardrobe under the plane. I love Atlanta... I really do. However, too many times I've seen bags get lost. This can happen at any airport, and it's just not a risk I'm willing to take. I highly suggest purchasing a hard shell small suitcase that you can use as a carry on. Then, carefully, take your gown (in a bag)... squeeze all the air out of it... and roll it. I know... scary, but it works. If done correctly, you should be able to get all your main competition wardrobe in that hard shell carry on. Then... worse case scenario... you atleast have all the wardrobe you need to compete! I'm personally packing my lighter gowns this way.

Your second option is to ship it. If you decide to do this, make sure you ship it out in time and for its arrival to be about the same time as yours. You'll also want to make sure that you have tracking and signature confirmation. One of my gowns during Internationals week is fully beaded... and somehow I just don't see it as getting to WV in a suitcase that should be under 50lbs or in a carry on that I have to lift. I'm shipping it in one of the boxes that is "if it fits it ships"... because ladies, it is heavy! Make sure that if you're shipping it, it is packed in a dress bag (or two) because who knows if it will decide to rain somewhere along the transit.

I also plan on shipping a few of the small things I need to bring that I will not need to bring back in a suitcase. I fully trust that our hotel will take good care of the items and it makes life so much easier.

A mixture of both will allow you to have everything you need and get your gowns there in a safe way!

I'll see you all in WV!

Redefining Beauty Worldwide,

Amanda Moreno
Miss International 2016

Comments

Popular Posts